Author Topic: 1997 Pajero Evolution #581  (Read 7095 times)

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
1997 Pajero Evolution #581
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:17:18 PM »
Many here have lived this dream with me. To you, I apologize for repeating the story. To others... this was and is my dream rig. Most sensible folks want exotics of the Italian or German variety, but I always wanted an exotic of a different sort. Last year, I finally got it... 

This thread will chronicle her journey from the mean streets of Japan to the wide open spaces of western Canada, and then updates with any work done, and adventures we find. Not much of build thread, since I think she was built pretty solidly by Ralliart back in the day, so I'll stick with keeping her healthy.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:29:48 PM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Pajero Evolution - the search
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:21:47 AM »
(This piece was originally published in a blog on 4x4wire, but I've included it here to give you background for my search - it is in two parts)

My decision to begin a search for the rare and unique Pajero Evolution was fraught with peril. Being a limited production homologation model, with only 2500 ever produced, were there actually any parts that crossed over to the mass-market Pajero, beyond the obvious things like sheetmetal and glass? Beyond this pressing question, could I still find one in decent shape, 18 years on, that was ready for export? Finally, would I have to pay a king's ransom to actually ensnare the beast?

Some of the parts compatibilities have still yet to be answered, but, in a virtual sense, I was able to cross over some part numbers to the "normal" Pajero/Montero, such as maintenance items on the MIVEC 3.5L. I also found out that the front brakes were the same ones that the third generation model used. A few hits like this convinced me that my search wasn't entirely irresponsible, and I began my search in earnest, anxious to discover answers to my last two questions - availability and affordability.

After watching the JDM auctions for six months or so, several things became crystal clear:

A. I wasn't going to have the pick of the litter. Of the 80 to 100 pajeros available in a given week, there might be ONE PajEvo, or none, depending on the moon cycle and the shape of the clouds hovering over Mount Fuji.

B. Procuring a manual transmission model (my secret yearning) was going to be almost impossible. If the slushbox was rare, it was downright ubiquitous alongside its three-pedalled sister, of which I saw exactly two in all the time I was looking.

C. The expectation of finding a low miler in the condition that I wanted AND the price I wanted, was like trying to build a DSM that was fast, cheap, and reliable. I had to pick one, maybe two if I could get lucky.

I raised my potential max bid (by proxy, through my importer), raised my mileage cutoff, and lowered my expectations. Late in January of 2016, the stars aligned, and luck seemed to be with me. I found a V55 Pajero, with not much info, and 140k kms, at an auction house in Hiroshima that was known for being exceptionally critical of any deficiencies. It was graded as a 3.5 and C interior, but my importer assured me that through any other outlet it probably would've been a 4-B. I had exactly two pictures to go on (the two included here), and 24 hours to decide, but in the end, I elected to take a chance on it...

It wound up being at the top of my budget (my newly revised/raised budget), had more kilometers than I had been originally hoping for, and didn't have the factory OZ wheels. Did I mention it was an auto? It did however, appear to be in good shape, and had just passed a rigorous Japanese road inspection, called a Jidosha Kensa Torokuseido, or "Shaken" for short. Now I had to wait for it to be shipped to my importer's local contact in Tokyo, so I could really get an idea of what I had just captured.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:32:17 PM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Re: 1997 Pajero Evolution #581
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 07:45:15 AM »
Time for an update... when the rig was finally shipped to the exit port, I was able to see what I really had, with 40plus pics from all angles. The news was good! Zero rust, and no permanent mods whatsoever, beyond some easily removed electronics.  The paint looked a little dull, (plastic hood duct was peeling clearcoat) but otherwise very little to find fault with beyond a cracked foglight lense and a missing dash vent blade.. (pic is  a sample of what I could see in my email)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:33:14 PM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 10:45:22 PM »
So the search began in Sept of 2015 (officially) and ended when I went to my importer's shop in Edmonton, on the night of Feb 36, 2016, to pick her up. She had passed her out of province inspection with ZERO deficiencies (pretty rare, even for a newer vehicle), and the only real fault he could find was a squealing belt (alternator belt, which I tightened for the short term).

Came in on a Wednesday, got inspected, and we got her on Friday night.

Here she was the night I picked her up... such a relief that all the pics I had seen from Japan were the real deal.

And here she is posing by her new younger sister:

Time to bring her home.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:58:29 PM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:54:48 PM »
The next day was the beginning of maintenance, phase 1 -

All new belts, hoses, and an oil change. Plus a good cleaning - JDM's seem to have a fair amount of environmental contamination in their rubber seals, and the paint is not always in great shape, so a polish/wax was in order. Also did a good interior shampoo, and pulled all the superfluous electronics. There was quite a bit of that, included a radar detector, a remote toll payment box, an antiquated GPS, etc etc.

This was not a great time of year to be flexing interior plastics, given the cold temps in Alberta so I went slowly. But at least it had the "WINTER PACKAGE".  ;D

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »
Over the next few months I continued to do little things as time permitted. Swapped the battery to an Optima yellowtop. Managed to source a remote key fob on a whim, hoped it actually had a remote locking module and got the remote door locks to work, using EVOSCAN to trigger program mode. Pulled the front diff cover and resealed it (slight weep around the cover) and got a nice look at the fins that keep it cool, as I replaced the fluid. Added my blue mud flaps. Yeah, I know. Red. Everyone wants red. Well its my truck, and I like blue. LOL.

Also, pulled the radio and cd and swapped in a double DIN Pioneer. It's "okay", but I wouldn't buy it again. The Appradio and Appradio LIVE features are gimmicky at best, and it is not a candidate for HACKED appradio. Being so low down in the dash, it almost doesn't matter anyway, right?

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »
Other than importing a CP9a Evo 6/6.5 TME....a Pajero evolution is also on that list.

Such a gorgeous and amazing machine.

Another example Mitsubishi made some awesome vehicles!
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
Nice!! Amazing truck!

I would love to get a copy of the ROM file from that ECU. If you ever get around to digging around the ECU could you take some photos of the part number and ECU? I want to build 98 LWB Evo with JDM 3.8 Mivec motor. Do you happen to have a FSM for the truck too?

Over the next few months I continued to do little things as time permitted. Swapped the battery to an Optima yellowtop. Managed to source a remote key fob on a whim, hoped it actually had a remote locking module and got the remote door locks to work, using EVOSCAN to trigger program mode. Pulled the front diff cover and resealed it (slight weep around the cover) and got a nice look at the fins that keep it cool, as I replaced the fluid. Added my blue mud flaps. Yeah, I know. Red. Everyone wants red. Well its my truck, and I like blue. LOL.

Also, pulled the radio and cd and swapped in a double DIN Pioneer. It's "okay", but I wouldn't buy it again. The Appradio and Appradio LIVE features are gimmicky at best, and it is not a candidate for HACKED appradio. Being so low down in the dash, it almost doesn't matter anyway, right?

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »
On a side note. This place has access to so many hard to find parts.

https://partsouq.com/

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »
Thanks guys. Yeah, mitsu's JDM offerings were off the hook in the 90's. I have this image in my head of a bunch of aging Mitsu engineers sitting around the Ralliart shop putting stuff together. :)

Partsouq has gotten some of my money in the last couple of years, between my two JDM's. Amayama trading is also good, depending on who has what in stock.

In terms of the ECU, I have a spare PAJEVO black box in my parts cache, and so I can easily pull numbers or pics for you.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »
More updates of things I've done already, and most of you have seen elsewhere, but just to keep it all together:

Did the timing belt/tensioner/pulleys/crank bolt. DOHC interference engine with unobtanium valvetrain parts - pretty stressful to get right.

Here is the front of the engine, partway through the job.

While in there, I also replaced all the seals on the timing covers, and generally cleaned things up. Those DOHC's wanted my fingers in a bad way. Managed to get through it with all my digits, and then proceeded to put 7200kms on it a week or two later, to prove I did it right.

ThePug

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
7200 Jesus where did you go lol

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »
7200 Jesus where did you go lol

Hmmm. I'm usually accused of being UNholy. LOL. ;)

Down through Montana, Idaho, Utah, AZ, then west to LA for Mitsu's 100 year anniversary Owner's Day (MOD) and then north into Oregon, WA, Idaho and back through BC and home.

Proof is here: http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/events-mitsubishi-owners-day-2017/
and here: http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/07/mitsubishi-owners-club-mod-17/

I'm sure there are others out there, but these two feature a few rigs from here, pretty prominently, including #581/2500.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »
Since my insurance co won't give me fire and theft (jdm's can only get the basic coverage in AB), an onboard extinguisher seems a must? This rig now has one mounted at the leading edge of the driver's seat. It was fairly easy to accomplish, by bending a bracket and bolting it across between the sliders. The extinguisher rides along on the seat rails, regardless of the seat's position. There were holes already there so all I needed to source was the appropriate sized nuts, bolts and washers.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 04:01:58 PM »
So when a Canadian is heading to California, the first thing he thinks about is honking horns. Well, guess what? Pajero Evo came to Canada with one slightly working horn, and one completely dead. So it was time for a replacement/upgrade. Many enthusiasts upgrade to Hella horns, "Supertones" to be exact. You've seen em, fancy schmancy red and black, strategically placed behind the grille for max blingage. I heard em, and found them just a wee bit too obnoxious. They also made a lesser known "Sharptone", which despite its name, has a slighter mellower tone. They are yellow grilled with blue backing. So I thought what the hella...

They didn't bolt to the stock horn hangers, since they were larger, so in addition to bending new brackets, I made mini wiring pigtails (in order to keep from hacking the stock wiring), and bolted them in place.

But I had to do something about the yellow. Too much. So I painted the yellow grilles black. Little more subtle, ironic for a rig that has a batwing fin on the back. LOL.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:52:48 PM by PajEvo »