Author Topic: 1999 JDM Pajero Exceed LWB with 4M41 diesel (Bought NOT Built)  (Read 3995 times)

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
1999 JDM Pajero Exceed LWB with 4M41 diesel (Bought NOT Built)
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »
Wasn't going to, but damn it, this rig is pretty darned cool, and its good to have a place where we can look back and see where it's come from.

First off, this rig was the subject of my JDM auction start-to-finish thread. All the sordid details of finding this truck can be seen here: https://www.adventuredrivendesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,303.0.html

Now, on to the goods. This is a 99 Pajero LWB, a v78 Exceed, which means its has the lauded 4M41 direct injection intercooled 3.2 diesel. This is coupled to a 4 speed auto. Inside its well appointed, with all options except leather. It arrived from Japan with 115k kms, an auction grade 4, and some indication of at least good oil change intervals.

This is my wife's daily, and will also pull our trailer in the summer, a 17 foot pop-up A-frame, which comes in around 2000# or so, depending on how long we are going for. This rig replaced an 03 Montero (Canadian Market unit) with 3.8/5speed auto.

Mods will be for fun/function - this is not destined for anything more major than a fireroad, so if this kind of thing bores you, then move along now. Cheers!

As purchased:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:47:28 AM by PajEvo »

ThePug

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 JDM Pajero Exceed LWB with 4M41 diesel (Bought NOT Built)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:01:04 AM »
Hey Paj let me know if the wifey's rig needs and parts from the vehicle I had sent pics from.

Shakotanfun69

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »
Cant wait to see some stuff on this thing.

Did you go through a Canadian importer?

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »
I always use JDM Connection, but I usually end up finding the rig myself. He takes care of the onsite inspection, paperwork and transport.

First thing I did was fluids and filters. Air, oil, and fuel filters were changed along with some fresh Rotella diesel specific oil. Then I pulled the petcock on the rad and got 4L out, to top up with new 50/50. That's as far as maintenance will go for now. I have accessory belts and timing chain guides on the shelf for round two.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:33:05 AM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
Fuzzy headlights? Oh yeah, we had those. I tried a new product this time around and it worked quite well...

Here's the before and after:

The chemical wipe that's included is pretty potent stuff so don't open it under your nose unless smelling salts are your essential oils. But it worked well. Pretty standard stuff: wet sand, finer wet sand, then wipe down with the presoaked chemical cloth. Only catch is it then needs 24 hours to dry with no contact or moisture.

I'd use this package again.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 10:27:55 AM »
This rig didn't have the winter package so no dual batteries. It did, however, have a large space in the batt compartment so I set out to cram the largest juice box I could fit. I've had good luck with Exide so I got one of their AGM batteries with the correct orientation of terminals and the maximum dimensions that I figured I could squeeze into the factory shield. Here's the result:

It's branded as a Canadian Tire Eliminator but is a rebranded Exide. This one has the flat plate technology. It is a group 94R with lots of CCA's and reserve. The existing battery wasn't DOA but being a diesel, and needing those glow plugs to get HOT in cold temps, I thought it prudent to replace right away.

I'll call this one another win.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:30:12 AM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
Tires? Well it came with tires, yes. But they were looking a bit old and I could see some cracks. Plus it's winter time. They were not up for the task so it was time to get some new boots.

I decided on a commercial style BLIZZAK in a load range E light truck tire. The sidewalls tend to bulge under the bulk of the gen3 so I thought an LT might perform better and tighten up the handling.

I ended up with a Blizzak W965 in a 245/75 R16. Its sidewall is only 2mm shorter but it's actual contact patch is almost a full inch narrower so it should be a great on-the-road snow tire. It may be a while before we can test that theory though, since we seemed to have been missed this year by the snow fairies...so far anyways.

EDIT: just realized, I forgot to mention something that I removed on day one, and which is obviously absent in this pic... the running boards. They were tarred and feathered and run out of town.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:45:02 AM by PajEvo »

ThePug

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 08:51:56 PM »
Much better look without the running boards, I'm actually surprised that you kept them on the Strada considering the low ride height

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 04:19:41 PM »
Much better look without the running boards, I'm actually surprised that you kept them on the Strada considering the low ride height

It was all about access to the roof for the RTT. Otherwise they'd be at the bottom of the pile that the pajero boards are making in the corner by the shed. LOL.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »
My wife is not too sure about the wood grain dash, so she ordered up some vinyl, and did her first wrap. It turned out to be perfect, so she's debating whether to do the side vent panels and wrap the partial wood wheel, or simply leave the woodgrain. (I 3M'ed a 7" Garmin GPS in place of the factory screen so it comes along for the ride when you pull the panel.

This is her first "mod" but probably not her last. She is absolutely in love with this rig.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 04:36:41 PM »
 Looks pretty nice, fresh.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »
This rig is getting some Christmas gifts in a few days, but I can tell you guys if you don't blab...This truck only came with one, non-remote key so I managed to snag a brand new OEM two button remote key (cost me a bundle). Haven't had the time to program it yet, or have it cut, but I still have two more days.  I also have a heated seat element (top and bottom) complete with harness and switch. Put one of these in the last gen3 (XLS) and it really cooked! I'm pretty excited to be able to buy my wife truck gifts that she'll be excited about! But "mum's" the word!!  :-X :-X :-X

ThePug

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »
Nice work Phil! Look forward to checking out the install

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 01:29:25 PM »
Quick driving update - first full tank with snow tires, and winter diesel (not as efficient as the fair weather stuff) saw 9.1L per 100 kms, or 26mpg, mixed urban/suburban. About a third of this driving was spent in 4WD too, so this number will probably improve.

I have noticed, as has my wife, that it doesn't get up to operating temp. Slowly gets to maybe 1/3 max on the gauge so I'm wondering about the stat? New stat is now ordered, along with upper and lower rad hoses, and a new rad cap. ALL OEM Mitsu. We don't muck about when it comes to cooling. I'm wondering if the stat is either stuck open, or not even in place? I can pull the coolant temperature via the diagnostic port via evoscan, but haven't had a chance yet. I'd expect it should be 190-200 degrees when fully at OT?

This could improve fuel econ as well? Time will tell.

Shakotanfun69

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 10:07:58 AM »
Man this thing rules.